When temperatures soar, your dog feels it just as much as you do. Use these tips and tricks to help keep your pup cool while taking walks this summer.
No matter the weather, you want to be sure to exercise your dog every day. But what do you do in the middle of summer when the sun is blazing and temperatures are soaring? Keep your dog safe and check out these five helpful tips for walking your dog in the summer heat.
- Time It Right: It’s always cooler in the early morning or late evening, after the sun has gone down, so try to limit your walks to those times.
- Less Is More: Avoid long walks in the summer. Instead, try two shorter walks in the cooler hours of the day.
- Watch Where You Walk: If you wouldn’t walk on hot concrete or asphalt barefoot, your dog shouldn’t either. Walk on the grass, or use doggie boots to protect their paws.
- Hydrate at Home: Make sure your dog has access to clean drinking water at all times, especially after they come in from a walk.
- Hydrate On-the-go: Bring a water bottle and small collapsible bowl on walks if your pup needs a water break.
- Groom Appropriately: Does your dog have a heavy coat of fur? While it may look a little funny, they’ll appreciate a good shave when temperatures are running hot and they’re running around.
NOTE: Darker coats absorb more heat, so it’s especially important to be careful with them in the sun.
|Ethical Pet Handi-Drink Pet Waterer||More|
|KOPEKS Round Heavy Duty PVC Outdoor Pool / Bathing Tub – Portable & Foldable||More|
|Pawz Water-Proof Dog Boot||More|
|FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo to Reduce Shedding||$3.14||More|
|KONG – Classic Dog Toy – Durable Natural Rubber – Fun to Chew, Chase and Fetch||$12.99||More|
|Pet Zone Designer Diner Adjustable Elevated Pet Feeder Raised Dog Bowls Dog Feeding Station Double Bowl Stand Stainless Steel Bowls||More|
|Dog Harnesses- Puppia||More|